Tuesday, January 29, 2008

52 Weeks Down - Week 34 - Vote Your Conscience - And Tell Everyone Why!

My formal apologies to readers in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Iowa etc... for running this column on the late side for you. I used to live on the NH/MA border, and my assumption is that anyone who gets to vote early has to work hard not to be a tremendously educated voter - the candidates basically stand in your yard yelling at you until you agree ;-). But as most of the nation heads to the polls for super-Tuesday, it is worth thinking a little about voting.

I know a lot of discontented people who feel crappy and powerless, disheartened and angry at a system that regularly disempowers them and seems to be heading towards fascism. And I know a lot of people who accept the "participate by not participating" notion. But unfortunately, not voting doesn't operate like boycotting commercial products - that is, there's no evidence at all that I can find that not participating makes us more powerful. And while it is absolutely reasonable to be angry about our crappy choices, that doesn't mean that we can say "oh, I don't want to vote for the lesser of two evils" - we have only to look at the last eight years to know that the difference between "kind of evil" and "Gets drunk regularly with Satan" is pretty huge.

Your vote won't make a legitimate third or fourth party in the US. It won't get you a candidate who will enact radical environmental changes, in likelihood - although it will certainly get you something better than what we have unless you vote for Romney or Guiliani ;-). If you live in my state and vote democrat, already sold to Hillary Clinton, your chance of getting, say, Oprah elected in a write in campaign are ridiculously low.

But there is something you can do if you vote that makes an enormous difference. Tell people how you make your choice and what issues matter most to you. I got polled last week, and when I told the pollster that my first concern wasn't even on her list - it was climate change and energy policy she said, "Oh, I've started getting that. I think they may even make that a choice on the next poll." And the impact *there* is potentially greater than we think. Take a look at this post of Greenpa's:http://littlebloginthebigwoods.blogspot.com/2007/11/iceberg-moves-again-and.html discussing the changes in public perception of global warming issues. Obviously, they are slow and too slow - but they are coming. And the hope of the next president, whoever he or she is, doing anything about it depend on the perception that we care, that we're willing to do what's necessary.

If you have a candidate you care about, that's a great reason to vote - I hope you do. If you don't have one you care about, vote for the lesser of two evils. And if you are struggling somehow to figure out what that is, vote anyway, and hang around after and get polled, or talk to the news people. Answer the phone when those polling places call. Write it on your blog - you can still say "the process sucks" while saying "and I'm trying to make a difference anyway."

Recently someone argued with me that none of the little things we do make a very big difference. That is, someone hanging their laundry or composting their scraps is just a tiny drop in a very big bucket. For some of us (some of us live in swing states), voting is like composting, a little drop in the bucket - but the net effect of each drop, and moving others to understand what we are doing, is filling the bucket, however slowly.

Happy voting!

Sharon

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of a bumper sticker I had in the last election - "Kerry sucks less". I was persuaded to vote for Kerry, who I didn't like at all, on that basis. This time, I think Obama sucks less - possibly even significantly less. Having read his first book several years ago (before he was even running for Senator), 2 things jumped out at me:

1) He's extremely intelligent (wouldn't THAT be a nice change!) and

2) He at least started out with good principles, and stood up for things I believe in and admire.

Now I know he's been in the Senate for 4 years, and has largely sold out to our corporate overlords like every other candidate - BUT I still have a sense that there is some kernel of principle left in him. I'm not convinced that Hillary Clinton EVER had any principles and I'm dead certain that she has none now.

And there's one more thing - As Caroline Kennedy pointed out in her endorsement of Obama, there is a whole generation of young people in their teens and 20's who are finding him inspiring. I think probably almost anything that brings young people out of political apathy and into the political process is a good thing.

And frankly, if the contest ended up being McCain vs Clinton, I think I would have to vote for the Green Party. If you look at the voting records of McCain and Clinton, there is precious little to distinguish between them.

Anonymous said...

I am gonna disagree with this premise.

My drop is going into the Green Party bucket - so no primary voting for me on SuperTuesday (my b-day no less).

In a solidly blue state that will go landslide for a Dem, my vote doesn't sway the primary (Hillary will run away with this state) OR the November electoral count at all. I do think my vote counts though - I vote for my ideals just like many voters. And while a Green won't ever be president, my vote can make it more likely to get the Greens on the ballot for other elections down the line (county, state, and town/city races). Races they are more likely to win and more likely to make a difference.

So my vote is important, just not for the election I am voting for - yet. And I don't have to gag as I choose between a rich (white/black/brown/green)(man/woman/robot) from one of those two parties. Pragmatism has its place in states with close races, but elsewhere idealism can rule the roost.

Anonymous said...

One nice surprise the Republican primaries may still offer us is the prospect of both candidates being less evil than what we have - McCain at least believes global warming is being affected by human activity, and needs to be acted on.

Some Republican in my family are having what has traditionally been a Democratic problem - picking which candidate offends them least. It's fun to watch, in a scab-picking kind of way.

BoysMom said...

Personally, I'm hoping for a brokered Republican convention. I find it very hard to believe that anyone not a Democrat will be the next president, but wouldn't a brokered convention be entertaining?
I'm supporting Ron Paul. I don't like the wars (terror, drugs, Iraq), I don't like corporate welfare and I suspect the vast majority of low-but-not-no income folks could get by if they just didn't have taxes (I know we could've back when).
Yes, Paul won't do much for the environment, but neither will he stand in California's way as Bush has, and he would open things up so people could easily sue corporations for environmental damage that harms them--he's said so. Probably only the lawyers would get richer, but think how much better corporations would behave if they thought they were about to get hit with class-actions for causing global warming. I'm not seeing anyone else still in the race who wants to kill corporate protections and welfare like that.

Anonymous said...

catalogue design Outsourcing | e greeting cards design outsourcing | tv ad outsourcing

Anonymous said...

3d model outsourcing | power point presentation design outsourcing

Nike shox clearance said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Olivia Crew said...

Excellent erudition Providing by your Article, thank you for taking the time to share with us such a nice article. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. Kindly visit the LiveWebTutors website we providing the best online assignment help services in Australia.

For More Info: Assignment Writing Services

augustwalker said...

Since modernization hit our nation hard, individuals are moving into getting things like a printer introduced at their homes. It is regular to confront little issues while working it. In this way, don't stress in the event that you are confronting inconveniences while working your Epson Printer. visit -- Printer is in an error state

Ragani Tiwari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divya Chauhan said...

We are an astrology firm initiated in 1999 as Bajrangi Dham, and now we are known as Bajrangi Astro. If you are to meet a Love marriage Expert in astrology or any life issue, you can get the correct astrological solutions to all your questions. Contact us via mail or call. You can also book a direct appointment to know the chances of you marrying out of Love.

Anonymous said...

Astroshubh is the best astrology website for online Astrology predictions. Talk to Astrologer on call and get answers to all your worries by seeing the future life through Astrology Kundli Predictions from the best Astrologers from India. Get best future predictions related to Marriage, love life, Career or Health over call, chat, query or report.
marriage horoscope by name and date of birth
free tarot reading in india

Stacy Baker said...

Before I go into what I found, it’s worth mentioning that I’m a fan of gum. My biggest complaint is that I can’t enjoy it for long, as it usually lasts too short. I can’t figure out whether the short life span is down to me or to the flavors I’ve tried. As a snack or dessert to celebrate or distract yourself during these very odd and interesting times, I’ve enjoyed gum since I was a kid. I’ve also enjoyed chewing on different varieties when I’ve wanted to stay awake when driving, and I’ve enjoyed having one in each hand for these same reasons...more..

Peter said...

Yes, I agree with you as you are saying it right. The vote has no power itself but when they go together they can change this nation. Now it's time to avail long distance taxi uk for more information.

David said...

Than you for share time with us such a nice article. Very informative article for me. I agree with you as you are saying it all right. Now it's time to get junk removal oakland for more information.

John Hardy said...

If you don't have one you care about, vote for the lesser of two evils. Keep posting are going to be expecting your next blog. Now it's time to avail Locksmith in Leeds for more information.

ownsmitjh said...

Such a nice article. You have shared a very valuable information in this article. Recently someone argued with me that none of the little things we do make a very big difference. Keep sharing more articles with us. Now it's time to get https://phxcarsservice.com/ for more information.

Alina said...

Thanks for writing this quality informational content. This blog is very helpful for us. I agree with you. Keep sharing more information about this article. Now it's time to get Best track suits for men for more information.

Osmithown said...

A very detailed explanation was provided on this topic. Amazing insight you have on this; it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. Now it's time to get party bus dc for more information.

Emma said...

I liked this article it is very informative. And I totally agree with your insight. Please keep sharing more information related to this article. Now take the opportunity to explore the wealth of information at the medical aesthetic laser clinic.

Anonymous said...


I appreciate this informative article; it provided valuable insights. I wholeheartedly agree with your perspective. Please continue to share more related information. Now, seize the chance to explore the wealth of information at melasma treatment toronto .

Rose said...

This article is truly excellent. You've provided incredibly valuable information within its content. Your innovative ideas on this topic turned out to be very helpful and a great source of guidance for me. It's time to embark on a journey of discovery at the
yoga meditation exercises for more information.