Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Life goes trickling by...

It has been a stressful 5 1/2 weeks. Asher was born at 8lbs even, but lost a considerable amount of weight in the hospital and in the days immediately after - he was down to 6lbs, 10 oz four days after birth, even though my milk was in on the second day. We narrowly escaped having him hospitalized, and slowly, slowly, over his first 5 weeks, he made it back up to his birth weight. He's just over 8lbs now.

I've never had this problem before - Simon and Eli were both born well over 8lbs, dropped a few ounces, and then merrily began growing. But even Isaiah, born a bit early at 6lbs, 10 oz grew steadily. My kids tend to settle just below the 50th percentile in weight (and are all off the charts in height - we're a tall family). I'm not sure if this is a Jewish mother thing or what, but not being able to adequately feed my baby hits into a fairly deep pocket of panic in me.

That said, he's been fine. He's vigorous and healthy, just on the skinny side (little chicken legs). All this has bothered me far more than it ever has him. I'm finally starting to get over it - he slept 6 straight hours last night (hallelujah!!), and I didn't consider waking him to nurse more than twice. Ordinarily, he nurses more or less constantly, interspersing dozing with feeding. I think this was the problem initially - nursing is exhausting, apparently, and it took a while before he could do it for any period of time.

Otherwise, all is well here. Big brothers have been surprisingly pleased about him, even Isaiah, who is ordinarily very possessive of Mommy (for a while I referred to not as "Mommy" but "de lap" - not "a" lap, but "the lap," and no other brothers were welcome upon it.) Simon regularly holds and even feeds Asher, during those rare moments in which Mommy's breasts are temporarily not in play.

Because I am nursing just about every moment, I am not doing much, including posting on this blog. I have never before *longed* to clean - I'm not the most elegant housekeeper you'll ever meet, but boy, just getting up and sorting some laundry without a baby in my arms is such a joy. I try not to appreciate it too much - this is the last baby I'll ever have, and holding him is a pleasure. But with each of my children came the realization that at least for me, there is only so long that can be spent staring adoringly into your child's eyes, before you start looking around for something to read.

Cheers,

Sharon

10 comments:

lewisharolds3574 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................

Anonymous said...

酒店上班

酒店打工

酒店兼差

酒店兼職

禮服店

酒店小姐

酒店經紀

假日打工

台北酒店經紀

童裝批發

童裝批發

童裝

童裝

酒店喝酒

暑假打工

寒假打工

酒店

酒店經紀人

酒店現領

Anonymous said...

酒店打工 酒店兼職
台北酒店 打工兼差 酒店工作 禮服酒店
酒店兼差 酒店上班 酒店應徵 酒店 酒店經紀

mucheng said...

blu ray ripper
blu ray ripper
blu ray to avi
blu ray to wmv
blu ray to mp4
Furthermore, Blu ray Ripper has powerful editing functions like Trim and Crop Blu ray clips, add text/image Watermark as a logo, set video Effect like brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.

Nike shox shoes said...

To listen closely and reply well is the highest perfection we are able to attain in the art of conversation.

Nike shox shoes said...

Without giving thought to of life with break, the life that lets oneself was full of bright beautiful with glorious, come to tears to go no longer, what give oneself alive hard is wonderful.

Nike shox said...

Thank you for sharing this information, I would recommend it to my friends, and hopefully this article useful to those who read it. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Nike free 2 sale
Nike Free run Plus 2
Nike Free Run Black
Nike Free Run Grey
Nike Free Run Blue

دردشة عسل عراقي شات عراقي said...

شات كتابي
دردشة عراقية
دردشة همس المحبه
دردشة همس المحبة
جات عراقي
دردشه عراقية
منتديات همس المحبه
منتديات همس المحبة
منتديات همس
همس
محبه
دردشة
دردشة فراشة الامل
منتديات فراشة الامل
جات عراقي
دردشة الامل
دردشة فراشة الامل
دردشة
منتديات العراق
دردشة عراقنا الامل
دردشة عراقية
دردشة فراشة بغداد
شات كتابي
دردشة عراقية
دردشة همس المحبه
دردشة همس المحبة
جات عراقي
دردشه عراقية
منتديات همس المحبه
منتديات همس المحبة العراقية
منتديات همس
همس
محبه
دردشة
دردشة فراشة الامل
منتديات فراشة الامل
جات عراقي
دردشة الامل
دردشة فراشة الامل
دردشة
منتديات العراق
دردشة عراقنا الامل
دردشة عراقية