Monday, October 11, 2004

I want to knit a shawl

Ok, I admit to thinking that there was something to 19th century dress. It was warmer. It was comfortable. For all that the corset gets a bad rap if you pull it really tight (I shudder to think how tight mine would have to be to give me any kind of a figure), a reasonably arranged corset is a wonderful antidote to back problems. Skirts are in many ways quite easy to manage - you can always hike them up. And they looked nice. Similarly, the male working equivalent was a lot nicer than the daily uniform my husband wears.

But I still don't quite understand why I want a shawl so badly. I don't do victorian dress, much as I admire it (today's outfit - ripped jeans, slip on shoes, long sleeved t shirt that says, "Picky Eaters Garden," with assorted places where the baby wiped his nose on me.) I have sweaters. But I really, really want to knit a shawl. Just a simple one, maybe a nice black one in Cashmerino. I don't need it, but my desire is approaching a need.

Part of the problem is that holiday knitting has taken over and I just want to make something for me. I've got two afghans, am about to have a third, four scarves and 6 pairs of socks in progress to finish between now and January. Clearly, I need to make myself a shawl too ;-P.

But part of it is the kind of person I'd be if I had a shawl. I'd be prettier. All the nineteenth century tasks I'm learning (badly) to do would come easily to me. I'd be a neater spinner, shear sheep in minutes, weave baskets, keep an elegant home. I'd be Tasha Tudor, only younger and edgier. I'm pretty sure a shawl can do all that.

Do you think I'm putting too much pressure on the shawl?

Sharon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................

Anonymous said...

禮服店
酒店小姐
酒店兼職
酒店上班
酒店經紀
酒店打工
酒店兼差
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
童裝批發
童裝批發
童裝
童裝
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領

Anonymous said...

Our website are the reliable wow gold and wedding dresses and wow gold and wow power leveling

Anonymous said...

酒店打工 酒店兼職
台北酒店 打工兼差 酒店工作 禮服酒店
酒店兼差 酒店上班 酒店應徵 酒店 酒店經紀

Anonymous said...

Nike free 2 sale
Nike Free run Plus 2
Nike Free Run Black
Nike Free Run Grey
Nike Free Run Blue

دردشة عسل عراقي شات عراقي said...

شات كتابي
دردشة عراقية
دردشة همس المحبه
دردشة همس المحبة
جات عراقي
دردشه عراقية
منتديات همس المحبه
منتديات همس المحبة
منتديات همس
همس
محبه
دردشة
دردشة فراشة الامل
منتديات فراشة الامل
جات عراقي
دردشة الامل
دردشة فراشة الامل
دردشة
منتديات العراق
دردشة عراقنا الامل
دردشة عراقية
دردشة فراشة بغداد
شات كتابي
دردشة عراقية
دردشة همس المحبه
دردشة همس المحبة
جات عراقي
دردشه عراقية
منتديات همس المحبه
منتديات همس المحبة العراقية
منتديات همس
همس
محبه
دردشة
دردشة فراشة الامل
منتديات فراشة الامل
جات عراقي
دردشة الامل
دردشة فراشة الامل
دردشة
منتديات العراق
دردشة عراقنا الامل
دردشة عراقية